23 January, 2015

Show your Closet who's Boss!

Courtesy photo
Courtesy photo
Lauren Woltman
Kudos columnist

The weather here kills me! It's so perfect! We get a smattering of snow to help us officially celebrate winter ... and then here comes spring! Yesterday, I wore a cotton dress, a pair of tall leather boots and a lightweight cardigan - and I didn't freeze! In fact, I was warm. Hello Spring?! I'm confused. 

Anyway, it also inspires me to roll up my sleeves and purge my home of the inevitable clutter that 2014 obviously left behind. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've spoken to quite a few ladies recently who are greatly overwhelmed by a closet jam packed with clothing they "just don't wear," and I've listened to hilarious stories about Rubbermaid storage systems, and how it's become an obstacle course of madness to just navigate an outfit a day out of the sea of plenty. 

Ahhhh! American living at its finest! We often have so much, but tend to wear the same things, over and over ... so, today I present to you an escape plan!

Prescott has an abundance of venues capable of bringing you relief from wardrobe excessiveness! All you need to do is sort out the distribution pattern. Keep, Donate or Sell: 

1. Keep the things you really actually wear. 

2. Donate the stuff that no resale shop would consider taking.

3. Consign or sell the rest! 

Sounds easy, huh! It's not. First of all you have to be realistic. Just because you paid too much to give it away, doesn't mean anyone else will buy it. The items you wish to consign or sell must be clean, fresh, cute and relevant - to the fashion demographics of our town, the season ahead and actual current style trends. 

Unless an item is truly classic vintage, no corporate world power suit, no matter how much you paid for it, is going to bring you a return on your investment. It's Prescott ladies! 

Um ... neither does that silk-taffeta bridesmaid dress - hold the secret to cashing in on your stuffed-to-the-gills closet. Expert organizers say that one-third of your closet is filled with clothing that falls into one of the following categories:

• It doesn't fit.

• You don't have anything to wear with it.

• It isn't comfortable.

• You don't have an occasion to wear it. 

Well, it's time to let it go! Closet space is prime real estate! You are hoarding clothes that don't look good on you, that you don't want to wear, and that are taking up space where really awesome clothes could be hanging. 

Oh, and the guilt. Let's not forget the guilt! You know that voice in your head that's saying: "I can't believe I spent all this money on these clothes that I never wear." That voice that haunts you every time you walk in your closet. What? That voice isn't in your head? It's coming from your husband? Yes, I know that one too!

You need to sort it out. I have a rule: If you more often than not, put on an article of clothing only to take it off again before you leave the house, you probably won't wear it - EVER. Maybe you purchased it on a SALE rack and although it was priced to entice, it really isn't you. Cut your losses and move it along! 

If you don't wish to do consignment, there are few choices that I know of here in downtown Prescott. Call "Snap Snap" 928-776-8695, if they love your stuff, they may offer you instant gratification and buy your items outright. For more traditional consignment venues in downtown try "Lucky You Boutique" 928-717-9349, "Ooh La La Clothing Boutique" 928-778-0069 or "What Ever Was" 928-778-4186, just to name a few. 

Or maybe you're ready to totally give up the ghost of fashion past? Here are a few charitable thrift shops that will gratefully take everything you're willing to donate: "Noah Foundation" 928-798-0545, "Stepping Stones" 928-776-3010, or Disabled American Veterans 928-445-8618. Some may even pick up the donation from your doorstep. 

Now go enjoy this beautiful day! I've gotta run, I've got some weighty decisions to make myself! Smiles! 

Lauren Woltman is the owner of Hop Sing Trading Co. in the Bashford Courts, 130 W. Gurley St.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments only, please. That means you, "Anonymous"! :)